Subject: Re: [Leica] Eric Newby
From: Douglas Cooper <visigoth@cloud9.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:25:26 -0400

> And I just dippped into my library and came across a wonderful book by a
> photographer I don't know very much about, name of Eric Newby (maybe an
> English Lugger can tell me more about him).

I had no idea Newby was also a photographer, although it makes sense -- he began in the fashion business.  What he's famous for is his travel writing.  Newby is one of the greats;
I say this as one of the less great travel writers.  Newby's book, A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush (published by Lonely Planet) is widely regarded as a classic; I think Waugh was
fond of it.  Newby can be difficult to find, for some reason, but he's considered a prince of the genre.

cheers,

Douglas Cooper