Subject: Vs: [Leica] I pity the....
From: "Raimo Korhonen" <raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:31:04 +0100

Well - I do not have any test results of my own so I quote Modern Photography. They tested the 2/50mm Summicron-M in June 1978 and got 63 lines/mm in the centre (contrast 56%) and 56 lines/mm in the corner (contrast 52%) - at the best aperture which was f:8. A far cry indeed from 200 lpm - and some think that this lens is better than the current generation.
BTW they tested 1.7/50mm Pentax in April 1977 and got 69 lines/mm (contrast 62%) in the centre and 55 lines/mm (contrast 55%) in the corner also at f:8. If you want Nikon, they tested 1.8/50mm Nikkor and got 62 lines/mm in the centre (contrast 58%) and 55 lines/mm in the corner (contrast 52%) - at f:8.
From these test results it seems that the design principles in Germany (or Canada) and Japan did not differ very much, at least in the seventies.
All the best!
Raimo
photos at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen