Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing the M6
From: Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 22:18:41 -0400

Simon, that IS a beautiful picture,but the effect must still be there. I
cannot explain why the eye in your picture is so sharp. If you swing an
arc you can see that you don't have to get very far off center to get an
appreciable change in distance (one lugger called it the "cosine
factor"). The wider the angle of the lens, the more this is true - it's
an awful lot with a 21mm. I don't think depth of field can make up for
this at the widest openings, where two centimeters can be critical. I
noticed this with my 90 Elmarit at F2.8 - especially if there are two
heads in the picture and one is at the center, one at the edge - it is
better to get the one at the edge to move closer until the rangefinger
shows them both to be sharp, rather than to have them in a plane that is
at right angles to the axis.

Jesse

Replies: Reply from Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Focusing the M6)
Message from "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> (Re: [Leica] Focusing the M6)