Subject: [Leica] Tripods
From: "Jack F. Matlock" <jfmatlo@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 01:12:03 -0400

Tina Manley wrote:

"Sure, if I had happened to carry the tripod into the jungle with me and had
slow film in my backpack and there was enough light to stop down.  Why not?"

Tina, I didn't know all your pictures were in the jungle!

But, seriously, doesn't your comment miss the point?  Clearly tripods are not for you and your pictures are great.  Has anybody (even Erwin) suggested that you use a tripod when it's inappropriate?

But I'll tell you: if I want a 30X40 print of a section of a landscape taken with my 90mm Summicron, you can bet I'll pull the Benbow out of the trunk of the car.  Beats setting up a 5X7 or 8X10 on a Ries.  And you know what, with modern films and good darkroom technique a Leica on a tripod can compete with large format unless you need the shifts.

And, by the way, when you are in East Africa, it wouldn't hurt to put that 560mm 6.8 Telyt on a tripod.  Or a monopod, at least.  And have the driver cut off the Land Rover engine.  (Please, don't try to backpack in Ngorongoro Crater or on the Serengeti.  We really want you to come back!)

Cheers,

Jack

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Tripods)