Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital progress
From: "Tim Spragens" <info@borderless-photos.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 18:00:12 +0100

On 29 Oct 00, at 10:13, Austin Franklin wrote:

> > Kodak noted in an interview with the developer of the CCD chip that they
> > are not afraid to sell the chip to others as the true knowledge is not the
> > chip, but the software for image manipulation and the algorithms for capturing
> > and compressing and correcting the raw ccd sensor output.
>
> That sounds kinda silly.  No real algorithms are used in capturing the
> data...you scan the array, and get the data.

I hope Jim Brick weighs in here, but there are algorithms involved.
the most common digital array is:
RGBGRGBG
GBGRGBGR
as I recall. This then has to be interpolated to the 24-bit depth
image. Also, the response of each CCD element is not identical to
the others, so the signal has to be adjusted.All of this has to
happen, then get written to the storage media before the next shot,
or during.