Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital progress
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 16:29:31 -0500

> > > Kodak noted in an interview with the developer of the CCD chip that
they
> > > are not afraid to sell the chip to others as the true knowledge is
not the
> > > chip, but the software for image manipulation and the algorithms for
capturing
> > > and compressing and correcting the raw ccd sensor output.
> >
> > That sounds kinda silly.  No real algorithms are used in capturing the
> > data...you scan the array, and get the data.

> I hope Jim Brick weighs in here, but there are algorithms involved.
> the most common digital array is:
> RGBGRGBG
> GBGRGBGR
> as I recall. This then has to be interpolated to the 24-bit depth
> image. Also, the response of each CCD element is not identical to
> the others, so the signal has to be adjusted.All of this has to
> happen, then get written to the storage media before the next shot,
> or during.

Yes, you are correct that the current consumer arrays do use 4 sensors to
make up color.  The algorithms used are used in every digital camera, and
aren't really that special.

That aside, it wasn't what I was referring to though.  The 'new'
technologies, such as, I believe, the Foveon, use three sensors, and so it
used three sensors per color pixel, this type of data manipulation that is
used in a Bayer pattern as you describe is not required.