Subject: [Leica] 35mm Summicron
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 11:11:52 -0600

> I am new to this list. I just bought a used M4 for a good price but
> still have no lens. Which lens is the most recommendable for a Leica
> beginner? I plan to buy a used lens and I
> think that I will prefere a 35mm lens.

Duri,
The best basic lens for a Leica IMHO is a 35mm f/2 Summicron. As for which
version, take your pick--they're all good enough, although the later the
better. If economics is a severe factor, try looking for a 35mm f/2.8
Summaron or even an f/3.5 Summaron. These normally sell for $400-$600 and
they're good lenses too.

(Note that many 35mm Summarons are those with "eyes" (attached correction
lenses for the viewfinder and rangefinder) made for the M3, which didn't
have 35mm framelines in its viewfinder. For your M4, you would want one
without the eyes.)

- --Mike