Subject: [Leica] M6 TTL 0.58 serial numbers
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <yaojkfdr@netvigator.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:22:33 +0800

LUGgers,

An interesting observation: I received a shipment of the latest M6 TTL 0.58
cameras last week.  Most of the cameras are in the range of #259xxxx, i.e.
the latest.  However, there were also a few 0.58 cameras which had serial
numbers in the #246xxxx range.  If I recall correctly, the first batch of M6
TTL 0.72 cameras were #246xxxx when launched in September 1998.

Incidentally, the latest shipment of R8 also contained cameras with really
early serial numbers.  I was getting R8s with #247xxxx until a few months
ago.  The new R8 cameras coming from Leica are now #229xxxx, these numbers
were assigned to early R8s back in 1996.  Their warranty papers, however,
indicate they are new cameras as these booklets were printed only a few
months ago.

I wonder if Leica is recycling serial numbers, or are they simply using
numbers previously assigned but not used.

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

Joseph

Replies: Reply from "Kam" <kamm@netvigator.com> (Re: [Leica] M6 TTL 0.58 serial numbers)