Subject: Re: [Leica] Just a thought
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:06:08 -0500

At 08:44 AM 10/30/00 -0500, you wrote:

>B. D., as someone who's been putting in long hours FB printing this past
>week, I've been following what you're saying. I don't want to be
>contentious, as I am actually quite ignorant about most printing processes,
>but my first concern is longevity: are the new digital prints as archival as
>the old wet prints?
>
>Cheers, Dave

Yes, with the right inks on the right papers; however, this is what Jon
Cone (developer of Piezography) says:

"I would contend that too much emphasis is put on longevity today. None of
the other art
                                           disciplines are as concerned
with this topic as digital printmaking is. Even photography is
                                           plagued by process such as the
most popular C-Print (Chromogenic) process which
                                           chemically deteriorates even in
the dark. Even Cibachrome / Ilfachrome prints can not
                                           keep up with certain inkjet inks
and media. Watercolors are prone to fading as are
                                           pastels. More emphasis should be
placed on educating the consumer on how to care for
                                           works on paper. And you can
quote me on that".

                                                      Jon Cone

Tina Manley, ASMP