Subject: Re: [Leica] Just a thought
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:24:53 -0800

Tina Manley wrote:

> At 08:44 AM 10/30/00 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >B. D., as someone who's been putting in long hours FB printing this past
> >week, I've been following what you're saying. I don't want to be
> >contentious, as I am actually quite ignorant about most printing processes,
> >but my first concern is longevity: are the new digital prints as archival as
> >the old wet prints?
> >
> >Cheers, Dave
>
> Yes, with the right inks on the right papers; however, this is what Jon
> Cone (developer of Piezography) says:

"I would contend that too much emphasis is put on longevity today. None of the
other art disciplines are as concerned with this topic as digital printmaking
is. Even photography is plagued by process such as the most popular C-Print
(Chromogenic) process which chemically deteriorates even in the dark. Even
Cibachrome / Ilfachrome prints can not keep up with certain inkjet inks and
media. Watercolors are prone to fading as are pastels. More emphasis should be
placed on educating the consumer on how to care for works on paper. And you can
quote me on that".

>                                                       Jon Cone

An oil painting will have chips and hunks of paint falling off the canvas in no time.
There is a whole industry of people who do nothing but stick hunks of dried oil
paint back on million dollar canvasses.
When people think "ART" and Art as an investment they think oil painting.
The most permanent of art medias would seem to be sculpture...
in stainless steel!

mark rabiner