Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital is not photography (long)
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 30 Oct 2000 13:49:12 -0800

On Mon, 30 October 2000, ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> Paul, I'm not saying digital is "bad," exactly; but lets not confuse it with
> the real thing. Arthur

Arthur, this is about as silly as claiming "if it's not made with a Leica it's not Real Photography", "the only Real Leica is LTM" or "Real Photography is black & white, not color".

Real Photography can be defined in many ways and apparently your definition isn't the same as mine.  IMHO the advancement of technlogy from 19th century tripodded wet-plate cameras to 20th century hand-held cameras using store-bought emulsions was a Good Thing.  If you wish to continue using and perfecting existing chemical photographic technology, go right ahead.  I'll be doing the same as long as it makes sense for me.  OTOH, I'd like to see what can be done with digital technology.  I'm willing to bet that about 0% of my wildlife photos could have been made with 19th century technology and I'm willing to find new ways to make photographs, digital or otherwise.  I'm not interested in being limited by a particular technology.  I love using my Leicaflex SL but if it ever keeps me from the photos I want it's time for a change.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento