Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital is not photography (long)
From: Paul Chefurka <chefurka@home.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:42:16 -0500

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:14:48 -0500, Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
wrote:

>on 30/10/00 4:11 pm, Paul Chefurka at Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com wrote:
>
>> I don't know about you, but I go to get "movies".  Blockbuster doesn't rent
>> much that I'd dignify by calling it a "film".
>
>Calling a movie a 'film' these days is very unfashionable in the biz.
>Everyone makes 'movies'. I know I write them. 'Film' has all the wrong
>connotations... like calling a walkman a 'portable tape-replay apparatus' or
>the radio in your car a 'wireless'. Or having a handlebar moustache.  The
>only people who use the word 'film' are (a) students (b) critics (c)
>producers who are trying to raise money from the National Film Board of
>Canada.

Thank God I'm not a student, a critic or a producer.  I make straightforward
distinctions:  "Lethal Weapon IV" was a movie, "Babette's Feast" was a film.  It
works for me.  Now where'd I put that moustache wax?

Paul

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Digital is not photography (long))
Message from Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com> (Re: [Leica] Digital is not photography (long))