Subject: [Leica] Cybergraphs, digitography, D.I., digital "photography"
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:47:52 -0600

I think digital photography is the best color photography I've ever seen.
I've seen good color photo_graphs_ plenty of times--isolated examples--but
digital prints can blow me away. I don't really know exactly why; the fact
that they can record a much longer scale, the fact that the colors can be
pure. I don't know.

And, on the other hand, I'm really solidly in the camp that thinks that
digital imaging isn't photography. Well, okay, so you can use it almost as
if it were. So? I think it's a different animal, a new paradigm. I'm not
saying better or worse. Photography is an imprint; a _physical record_
caused by the action of light. Digital imaging is a new medium that's
related to photography, a descendant of it. Maybe an improvement. But not
the same species.

- --Mike

Replies: Reply from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: [Leica] Cybergraphs, digitography, D.I., digital "photography")