Subject: Re: [Leica] Morgans + steel framed bicycles : OT-nothing to do with Leicas...OK, just a little bit of Leica content
From: "Peter Choy" <pmcchoy@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:38:42 -0800

John Collier wrote,

> Would you extend the second to include fillet brazed steel? I love steel
> bicycle frames but think that the recent incorporation of beer can
> technology has improved the ride quality significantly. I am having a frame
> made to replace the one a kind member of the proletariat recently liberated
> from me. A tight (lots of pedal overlap) cyclocross frame with Columbus foco
> tubing for the seat and down tubes, Reynolds 853 top tube, and curly seat
> stays from I do not know where. REALLY REALLY sweet ride. I can hardly wait.
> It will have track drop outs but with a derailleur hanger added so I can
> switch to fixed or single speed as well. I am going STI and nine speed
> (Canon and Nikon equivalents in the bicycle world) so I fear you will shun
> me if we ever meet!

In those who are susceptible, bicycles can inspire as much gear-obsession
as cameras.  A case in point:

Frame and fork:  custom Reynolds 531 throughout, set and brazed free-hand
w/o jigs or cold-setting; hand filed, fine finished, fancy cut-out Cinelli
lugs; Campy forged dropouts and SR headset; Cinelli bottom bracket and
investment cast fork crown; Cuevas semi-wrap seat cluster with chamfered
seatstay ends and Cinelli allen-key seatpost binder; Cinelli allen-key brake
bridge fitment; brazed-on guides for brake and changer cables, bottle cage
bosses, derailleur bosses and rack eyelets.

Components:  Campy NR sidepulls and levers; Campy NR derailleurs and bar-end
shifters; Sedisport chain; Campy NR cranks and titanium freewheel; Campy
Suoerleggero pedals, Christophe clips and Binda straps; ttt stem and Cinelli
(Campione del Mondo) bars with black tape (On Topic?!?); Campy SR
single-bolt seatpost, Cinelli saddle w/ alloy rails.

Wheels:  Super Champion Gentleman 700c narrow alloy box-section rims, DT
stainless steel double-butted spokes, individually hand-tied with copper
wire and silver-soldered; Campy NR low flange hubs w/ QR; hi pressure
gumwall road clinchers.

Finish:  hand finished monochrome Dupont Imron metallic silver with
clearcoat, single Cuevas signature decal on either side of top tube only, no
head tube decal or applique.

Performance:  as taut and finely tuned as a swiss watch, takes off from a
standstill like a rocket, climbs like a mountain goat, rides like the wind,
descends like an Italian downhill ski racer.  Looks like it's freewheeling
even when chained to a lamp post.

Cotes d'amour:  my personal favorite because my girlfriend had it built for
me by the great Francisco Cuevas, as a gift.  We were married not long
thereafter.  You can tell how long ago by the vintage of the components.

Peter C.
San Francisco