Subject: Re: [Leica] Cuevas semi-wrap seat cluster with chamfered seatstay ends and Cinelli allen-key seatpost binder
From: "Peter Choy" <pmcchoy@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 20:31:29 -0800

>> Frame and fork:  custom Reynolds 531 throughout, set and brazed free-hand
>> w/o jigs or cold-setting; hand filed, fine finished, fancy cut-out Cinelli
>> lugs; Campy forged dropouts and SR headset; Cinelli bottom bracket and
>> investment cast fork crown; Cuevas semi-wrap seat cluster with chamfered
>> seatstay ends and Cinelli allen-key seatpost binder; Cinelli allen-key brake
>> bridge fitment; brazed-on guides for brake and changer cables, bottle cage
>> bosses, derailleur bosses and rack eyelets.
>

> You know, that's just all you guys talk about, is just Leica, Leica,
> Leica....
>
> --Mike

Absolutely.  Much of these discussions are variations on a theme:
the iconic power of branding in an industrial/post-industrial age.  In
earlier times, it was the power of myth, legend and archetype.  Rich
in symbolism -- akin to the search for the Grail, or to the alchemists'
quest.  Perhaps bizarre and opaque on the surface, why do these
pursuits have deeper meanings beyond their face values?  So what's
the LUG all about, besides Leica as sacred object?  We are all engaged
in collective myth-making.

Alternatively, as an Ozzie pal of mine would say, it has high
"wank-value" (pardon my 'Strine, no offense intended).

Semiotically in California,
Peter.