Subject: [Leica] Fw: wet vs. dry darkroom
From: "Paul Arnold" <osprey@bmt.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:39:39 -0700

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Arnold" <osprey@bmt.net>
To: "Leica Users Group" <leica-users@mejac-palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2000 3:12 PM
Subject: wet vs. dry darkroom

This is my first post here, so if I breach a protocol (now or later), please
advise.

On the subject of "will digital equipment take the place of
film/wet-darkroom photography," I think there are (at least) two answers: if
you are a pro, as most of you folks seem to be, then for all the obvious
reasons (speed, ease, etc.) the answer will be digital; if, however, you are
in photography as a hobby, then how fast you get from point A to point B is
not necessarily an issue.

For me the most obvious analogy is power boats vs. sailboats. The pros
select the former for the obvious reasons (speed, ease, etc.) and, for a
heckuva lot of sailors for whom boats are a hobby, how fast you get from
point A to point B is not necessarily an issue (unless you're racing other
sailboats).

If this analog holds any water at all, it tells me that film and wet
darkrooms bid fair to be around for some time to come.

 And on the subject of choosing digital or wet darkroom for one's
youngsters,
it makes sense to me to expose the little fellows to some of each and let
them them decide for themselves. Hey, if you were an jock-parent urging
your kid toward sports, it would make sense to let him/her choose their own
sport.

As a new LUG fan, I want to say that I enjoy what you guys have to say. I'm
getting some new insights and learning a lot. You make it darned hard not to
want more equipment though -- a definite downside.

 -- Paul A.
Dillon, Montana