Subject: Re: [Leica] Cameras as checked luggage
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:17:34 -0800

When I first started using the "biohazard" trick I thought I should
make the package as repulsive-looking as possible, but I quickly found
that the people that I am trying to protect against (professional
thieves who work inside the air transport system)  know what ordinary
medical packaging looks like, and my "try to scare them" labels stuck
out like a sore thumb. I almost lost a $25K test instrument that way.
(It vanished for 3 days, then turned up without explanation of the
delay). Once I learned what biohazard packaging looks like in real
life, I copied that and have had absolutely no problems since.

The actual US Federal rules for biohazard shipment are here. Be glad
you don't have to follow them.

    http://www.cdc.gov/od/ohs/biosfty/shipregs.htm

Real biohazard stuff is not shipped in Zero Halliburton cases because
(a) they are too expensive, and (b) they are too easy to open. I prefer
the Pelican 1600, which comes in a silver color. It's trivial to paint
it white; whatever it's made out of, paint clings to it really well.

See
    http://www.pelican.com/product/cases/
for pictures, and
    http://www.pelican.com/product/cases/1600case.htm

for specifications and prices. Note that (compared to Zero Halliburton,
at least), they're cheap.

Real biohazard material is never padlocked; it's sealed. So instead of
locking the cases, I put very thick red cable ties into the padlock
holes, and "seal" the cable ties with red low-temperature glue sticks,
which can be had at any craft store, especially around Christmastime.

This all might sound very complex, but it's not. Put the gear in the
box. Close it. Seal it. Hot-glue the seals. Go to airport. I carry
extra cable ties and the glue gun in my clothing suitcase, and I
usually have a few cable ties in my pocket for clearing customs. You
can cut a cable tie with toenail clippers, which won't raise eyebrows
at security the way a knife or scissors will.

Brian