Subject: RE: [Leica] Whose confused??? Erwin didn't say that....
From: "Ken Lai" <ken@compose.com.hk>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:46:11 +0800

A 300 ppi 17x11 print requires a scanning resolution of roughly 3700 dpi or
146 dpmm which is equivalent to 73 line pair per mm which is required to
scan negatives with 73/2 = 36.5 line pair per mm.

On the other hand, Erwin is saying that the best hand held photography gives
you 40 line pair per mm and the average is around 20 line pair per mm. I
don't know where these numbers are from but they aren't far from Johnny's.

****

If the CCD in a digital camera also requires double the frequency to capture
the smallest detail, then a 16.8MB CCD gives you 4.2MB's worth of details,
which is only a quarter the size of the 20MB file size of a salon quality
print.

However if this requirement for doubling the resolution is not valid, then a
16.8 MB CCD does give you the same detail as a salon quality print.

****

So the assertion that 'you need to sample at at least twice that
frequency' - is this a valid assertion for digital camera as well as film
scanner?

Ken Lai

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com