Subject: [Leica] Riefenstahl (was Buying Leica M on Ebay
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:23:47 +0200

>Vick Ko wrote:
>>
>>  I have bought 2 LTM bodies on ebay - no problems with one (IIIg)
>>  and haven't had time to shoot with the other.
>>
>>  I've bought a R-Leica parts camera - great fun dissecting it.
>>
>>  ...V
>>
>The French PHOTO came out today and i picked it up and there is a very cool
>(blue) shot of Leni Reifenstal with her LTM from 1940. Wish I could
>read the french!
>A HIRO shot on the cover.
>mark rabiner

Mark: Can you read  German? All bookstores here have a large size,
quite thick, new book on Riefenstahl as actor, dancer and
photograper. Has the 1940 pic with the LTM and many, many more. It is
only about DM 60. Do you want the ISBN?
I went to look at a few of the pictures to be auctioned at Villa
Griesebach in Berlin on 23rd November. There was an original untitled
1936 10x12" print of a swimmer by Riefenstahl estimated at about
2,000 dollars. Excellent grain and sharpness, which one can not
always say about her 1930s pictures. Two other smaller ones by
Riefenstahl 9x11" were valued at 800-900 dollars. I did not see the
originals of  these, just the reproductions in the catalogue, but I
wonder why they were cheaper. Grainier? Smaller? They were more of
her typical style, the swimmer was not. May explain the price
difference. Perhaps they have them on their website
www.villa-griesbach.de
Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist