Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: I go historical/Walt
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 16:56:04 EST

In a message dated 11/3/00 2:15:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<<  It is a bit troubling that we are
 expected to respond to Erwin differently than we would respond to anyone
else on
 this list >>                   SNIP

Actually, it is that apparent assumption which is troubling.  If Erwin is an
equal among equals, then why does he not have the right to leave the list,
like any other participant, or announce his intent to leave, for that matter?

Why is such an announcement on his part construed as a threat?   Is he really
that powerful?  Is he a public official who is expected to set some kind of
example or meet an unrealistically high standard of behavior?

<<  There is no question this list would be poorer for Erwin's absence, but,
by the
 same token, it would also be poorer if it's nature changed to accommodate
Erwin.>>

Damn right, but why infer that Erwin wants or demands to be treated with such
deference?  He was right back at it again after he cooled down a bit.  By the
way, this list would be impoverished if you or Walt left, too.  Do we want to
create a separate list of people who wouldn't be missed?  I should say _not_,
if only for my _own_ sake!

 <<And, let me add, as a reporter of many many years, that the questions
raised by
 Walt are perfectly reasonable questions to ask someone who, like Erwin,
seems to
 have such an "in" with a particular manufacturer. It's not insulting to ask
 those questions - but is rather bizarre to not have them asked. >>

Correct, if one is writing an investigative news story.  Otherwise, just take
the information and opinion and process it, use it, reject it or ridicule it
as you will.  All testers and analysts have prejudices, to a greater or
lesser extent.  If   Erwin has a bias in favor of Leica lenses, he is not
very good at concealing it.  Even if he were nothing more than a flack for
Leica, he would at least be a highly informative one.

Bottom line, the premise that his behavior or background should be
scrutinized more closely than that of other members is questionable.  If he
is "just one of the guys", then he is entitled to be pissy now and again,
just like the rest of us, except Tina, of course.  Her behavior really _is_
better...

Gotta stop now.  Time for the blood pressure check and the paper bag over the
head.  I'll be okay, soon.  Really.

Apoplectically yours,
Joe Sobel