Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Books
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 19:54:57 +0100

The manual that should come with a new camera is fine. If you want some
more info on lenses and accessories (specs, pics), get a free brochure
from your dealer. If you want more info on lens performance, visit
Erwin's site. For an alternative viewpoint, focussing less on optitical
performance, I like www.cameraquest.com.

Many "camera books" are not more than a blown-up manual, blended with
info from brochures, general photo trivia and, sometimes, Leica history.
Stay away from writers who have published to many books, on too many
camera models and brands, and too short after the respective models came
out.

I have accumulated a couple of Leica equipment books. Now I own Leica
cameras and lenses and don't need to look at pictures of them any more.
I still buy photo books, but with pictures and not pictures of
equipment.

By the way, I bought a fat Magnum book on saturday, "magnum°" which
apparantly is celebrating the agency's 50th anniversery: 25x25cm, 500+
pages, many great and new pictures from the last ten years.

Hans-Peter

Hans-Peter