Subject: Re: [Leica] ORWO
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 01:05:52 +0100

I remember press reports from a couple of years ago saying that ORWO
stopped making film. What they still did for a while was spooling film
from other manufacturers (Scotch, Konica and the like) and sold it under
ORWO name through discount stores.

In their catalog from last year, Fotoimpex offered "Maco UP 400+",
saying that this is the same as HP5+. I also found "Maco UP 100+" in a
cologne shop. I tried the 400+ which indeed looked very much like HP5+.
My technique is however not refined enough to say, whether it was 2nd
grade material or whether there was more dust and scratches from loading
(was reported on Efke films). The negs had proper numbers from 1A to 36B
and even a "UP 400+" printed in between the perforation. So it was not
respooled bulk film, like the other offerings. Maco's website
"www.mahn.net" did not reveal the manufacturer.

Most probably it is just what Fotoimpex is saying, HP5+ sold under a
different trademark, possibly even spooled and packaged by Ilford in the
UK. Not only 2nd grade manufactures (Scotch, Konica and the like), but
also Agfa and Kodak sell at least their previous generation of colour
neg film under "house" label through drugstore chains or photo
discounters.

Hans-Peter

Replies: Reply from Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net> (Re: [Leica] ORWO)