Subject: [Leica] Re: Scanner
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@metaversalstudios.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 23:17:19 -0500

At 04:12 PM 11/6/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Since I want to use the scanner just for web publishing and work prints, the
>lower resolution one (= less bucks :-)) should be enough for me at this time.
>Also, I don't want to be forced to upgrade my system to handle and print high
>resolution images, yet :-).

If this is your sole concern, I *highly* recommend the new Epson 1640U
Photo.  I just bought one after reading every review available on the Web,
and I've been scanning 4x5's with astonishing results.  Medium format
should offer high enough resolution for photo-quality prints, and miniature
format will certainly be good enough for web publishing (72 ppi is not
much) and work prints.

I adore this scanner.  It's an update of the famous Epson 1200U (which
seems to be #1 on every survey list) -- 1600 dpi instead of 1200.  Some
argue that Epson has fudged the figures -- that this is really an 800 dpi
scanner, and that the 1200U is really 600 -- but the important thing is
that they perform as well as scanners with true 1600 and 1200 dpi capabilities.

The "Photo" version comes with a decent transparency scanner, including
templates for 4x5, 2 1/4, and 35mm.  Hard to find one at the moment;
they're selling out as soon as they arrive.  Try buy.com.

I may upgrade to a 35mm slide scanner at some point, in order to get
print-quality resolution out of miniatures, but I doubt I'll need that
soon.  In fact, with my local E6 lab charging 9.99 for a scan of a complete
strip of 35mm, at 4.5 MB, I may never need it.

cheers,

Douglas Cooper