Subject: [Leica] Print film progress
From: "gbicket" <gbicket@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 05:22:03 -0500

Hi LUG,

Good morning.  It's 5am, and curious minds want to know...What has happened
in the 10 years or so I have largely ignored color print film?

Has there been developed a color neg film that is reasonably fast [ASA 400
or so] that does not have grain that looks like large, pastel snowflakes?
I have some people pictures to take, and I will have marginal light to deal
with, no bounce opportunities and really detest straight-on flash.

I tried the Kodak Portra when it first came out, and liked its color
rendition, but at ASA 160, it's too slow for my needs.  Need accurate color
rendition, and acceptable grain.  Faster the better, but the last time I
looked, I was 'way put off by grain size.  Has print film research marched
on?  Anything new under the sun, or even the twilight?  I am not a pusher,
as my experience is just awful in terms of triggering grain the size of
sesame seeds on Olympic steroids.

What too, for ASA 400 or faster black and white?  Tri-X still around, or is
it being horded in people's freezers?  I have been making photos with color
transparency film for a long time, they have gotten so good, and can be so
much fun.  Been languishing in the world of VelviaAstiaProvia100VSK200 so
long, I am out of touch.  These folks want prints, so prints it must be.

Guess I need to get out more, broaden my exposure latitude!  Thanks, all.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Enjoy the light!

Greg Bicket

Replies: Reply from "Rob Heyman" <rheyman@bigpond.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Print film progress)