Subject: [Leica] problem with R to EOS adapter...
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:15:30 -0500

If the R lens to EOS adapter works like any other one where you only have
stopped down metering....

You essentially have three ways to shoot.

1) shoot with the lens wide open.
2) shoot with it at the actual stopped down working aperture.
3) open the aperture to focus and then stop it back down to shoot...

In all candid situations where people are moving and reacting it's hard
enough to get things in focus and capture the moment with the lens wide
open... let alone remembering to stop it back down after you've refocused
etc...  and if you are shooting with the lens stopped down to f/5.6 in a
dimly lit room and you can focus it quickly and accurately and capture the
moment....  you've got better eyes than I do....  I've tried manual focusing
with my EOS 1N stopped down in my office and no way am I going that route.

While an R to EOS adapter might work for some situations and for some
people.....  In practice... I personally don't think it's worth the
effort...  and the money for the adapter is better spent on a R body...
Especially if you are going to shoot with the lens stopped down in dim
situations with TTL flash....

So..... IMHO.... I'd think three times before buying one... or at least try
one out first to see if it is right for you....  I'd also check whether it
has infinity focus or not.....

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador