Subject: [Leica] Re: Print Film Progress
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@metaversalstudios.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 18:24:24 -0500

At 07:08 AM 11/7/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Has there been developed a color neg film that is reasonably fast [ASA 400
>or so] that does not have grain that looks like large, pastel snowflakes?

Fuji's 400 (NPS? -- I always get their absurd taxonomy confused) is nice; a
bit soft and pastelly, like the 160 -- although not pastel in the snowflake
sense; the grain is only marginally worse than 160 -- gorgeous for skin
tones, less so for scenes that require punchy contrast.  The 800 NHGII is
perhaps the most exciting negative film on the market (after Reala, which
is perfection):  at 800, the grain is probably about the same as the last
generation of 400s, perhaps even better; at 1600 it's still tolerable.  And
the color balance is superb.  Both the 400 and the 800 lack Fuji's fourth
layer technology, an innovation which supposedly makes it easier to shoot
daylight film under tungsten, if you're going to compensate in the
darkroom.  I haven't found this to be all that useful; my tungsten shots
looked pretty dreadful when balanced out.

I'm less familiar with the yellow boxes, but I'm going to get experience
soon, as Fuji doesn't offer some of my favorite flavors in 4x5.  It would
be nice if someone could weigh in concerning the Portras, and the older
Kodak formulae.

cheers,

DC