Subject: Re: [Leica] Exposing TMAX 400 vs Tri-X
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 09:23:17 -0800

Axel Schwieker wrote:

> Peter Shier wrote:
> >
> > Good question. I should have mentioned that. I use a fine art B+W lab here
> > in town (Dalmatian in Greensboro, NC). I will ask about their process
> > tomorrow and post the info.
>
> seems like they are developing the Tri-x incorrectly. I'd suggest to get
> a development drum and some chemicals and start processing on your own.
> You will be rewarded with superior resultst and it will even pay off in
> terms of money after ~20 rolls of film. DIY yields better results, it is
> cheaper and more fun.
>
> Axel

Two thoughts:

a T grain neg is supposed to look thinner than old fashioned film but still
print as full.

IMO (and i know others differ) aikod Tri x has a real speed in most developers
of 400.
T Max 400 IMO opinion and experience and the shooters I know in town has a real
speed of 320.
A half stop slower than tri x of real speed.

Also the curve shapes different and could be part of the issue.
Tri x has a higher toe than T. Max which drops off (down) quicker.

mark rabiner

Message from Axel Schwieker <axel@baer.rwth-aachen.de> (Re: [Leica] Exposing TMAX 400 vs Tri-X)