Subject: Re: [Leica] ORWO Maco HP5+
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 00:10:24 +0100

The exact wording in the old Fotoimpex cataloque was "wie" or "like".
This is stronger then "similar to", but still not "same as" what I have
said before. Maco's website didn't quote the manufacturer. Fotoimpex'
current cataloques says Orwopan 400+ is "comparable to HP+".

I really don't know whether there are any factories actually making FP+
or HP5+ under license. But I doubt whether they could make film cheaper
than Ilford in the UK, Forte or Foma in Hungary or Bohemia. Efke says
they use "German machines" to make their Adox offspring. Most probably
they purchased the old equipment from Orwo who thus wouldn't be able to
actually make film anymore.

I believe Orwo/Maco is genuine FP4+/HP5+. If there is a difference in
quality, it would be related to transport/storage, printed frame
numbers, dust and scratches from spooling which indeed could be
significant. And I indeed would confirm that the frame numbers printed
inbetween the perforation looked crude.

In addition Brenner or Fotoimpex offer Agfa, Kodak and Fuji film spooled
from bulk rolls, at a price halfway between factory and home spooled
film. But again I suspect that despite the same raw material they cannot
work as clean as the factory.

I don't live in a big city (300,000+ inhabitants), but within 20 minutes
walking distance from my home there are two shops which carry the full
scope of "professional" film, developers, papers etc.. Mail order
dealers like Brenner or Fotoimpex may ask less per roll or bottle, but
have shipping and handling fees. It only pays off, if you order in bulk
and you often may order more than you actually need.

Hans-Peter