Subject: Re: [Leica] mechanical shutters
From: Nicholas Poole <nick.botton@camphill.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 02:02:17 +0000

>Axel
>Twenty years is a hell of a long time. Will I be using the same camera in
>twenty years as I am now? I don't think so.
>My observation was a practical one: the electronics do actually seem to
>handle the horribleness of certain environments better. I'll take it six
>months at a time, or eleven (my longest trip to anywhere).
>Rob.
>
>Robert Appleby
>V. Bellentani 36
>41100 MO
>Italy
>tel. (+39) 059 303436
>mob. (+39) 0348 336 7990

Hi Robert,
For what it's worth, I bought my Leicaflex SL2 back in 1978 and
another (second hand) a few years later. Neither has ever needed
repair nor has ever given poor/unreliable exposures in the heat,
freezing cold or pouring rain! Both shutters are still so sweet I
sometimes like just listening to them!! (OK, they may not be EXACTLY
1000 sec. - probably somewhere nearer 800 maybe - but slides turn out
fine, and I'm very, very critical of  my own pictures.)
Twenty years is a long time, as you say, and speaks volumes for the
quality and durability of mechanics if done right - and the SL2 just
feels right to me. As I've had faultless service from both cameras
over that time, why would I assume I'd buy something else twenty
years from now?
Please don't take this as a criticism of electronic shutters. I'm
just a poor Luddite at heart!
Nick.