Subject: [Leica] mechanical shutters
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 23:12:34 +0100

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 09:45:36 +0100
From: Axel Schwieker <axel@baer.rwth-aachen.de>
Subject: Re: [Leica] mechanical shutters

Robert Appleby wrote:

> Is there any advantage to a mechanical shutter except for the battery
> independence?

The advantage of a fully mechanical quality shutter is, besides its
battery independence, that it can be repaired by any skilled technician
even after decades. If the electronics break after 20 years or so you
are usually left out standing in the rain.

Axel
<<<<<<

Axel
Twenty years is a hell of a long time. Will I be using the same camera in
twenty years as I am now? I don't think so.
My observation was a practical one: the electronics do actually seem to
handle the horribleness of certain environments better. I'll take it six
months at a time, or eleven (my longest trip to anywhere).
Rob.

Robert Appleby
V. Bellentani 36
41100 MO