Subject: [Leica] HP-5 Plus: from Ilford only
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 22:46:45 -0600

> My understanding is that this film (and others like it) is HP5 (not HP5+)
> which is split into 35mm widths and packaged. I understand that Ilford has
> licensed HP5 to a number of manufacturers (Jessops is made in Spain for
> example). I think if you compare the given processing times for various dev
> combinations you will see that they are not in line with HP5+.
>
> Gerry

This is correct. It's HP-5 that everybody is licensing; Ilford sold it
briefly as a cheap "student" film. Only Ilford sells HP-5 Plus, which is a
wholly new and different emulsion. It should have been called HP-6, except
that every photographic manufacturer seems to have gotten number paralysis
by about 1992.

Even the R8 should have been called the Leicaflex SL3!

- --Mike