Subject: Re: [Leica] Just bought R7 - need some advice
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 21:33:21 -0800 (PST)

Dear LUG,

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I've been an Olympus OM user for
the last 19 years, so SLRs are not strange to me. However, not having
prior experience with Leica R cameras, I'm back to "learning" mode for
now.

Regarding my question about the self-timer, I had already guessed that
that's what it must be but I hadn't tried touching the shutter release
or the mode selector to activate it, so I was baffled. Now I know!

I now understand that I was wrong in thinking that the ! symbol was a
battery low warning. However, the batteries won't last forever so I'll
have to shop around to see what types I can get in Jakarta, from the
list of battery types kindly provided by LUG members. Alkalines (e.g.
LR44) are easy to find here but other types are not. To my knowledge,
alkalines are not always a good choice because the voltage declines
with use, which can lead to inaccurate exposures in some cameras.
That's certainly the case with Olymous OM cameras but, since they use
only 2 cells, there's no scope to include a voltage regulator circuit
to compensate for this problem. The R7 uses 4 cells and may, for all I
know, contain a voltage regulator.

Again, thanks very much for the advice. I'm already very impressed with
the ergonomics and flexibility of the R7 and I'm sure I'm going to
enjoy owning and using it!

Regards,

Ray Moth