Subject: [Leica] Re: Why a 35mm lens?
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:10:57 -0600

Joseph

You wrote:
>>Perhaps Kyocera has been too busy making the Vario-Elmars for Leica for
the
past few years? ;-)<<

Yes! And I can say from personal experience that the new Leica 80-200/4 R is
one of the best zooms I have ever used (and is in fact the only zoom I
currently own). It reminds me of the older Zeiss lenses I have for my Contax
(all of which are German made, though I'm not sure that means anything).

The Leica zoom feels much more substantial than the 80-200 Contax. I believe
both are made by Kyocera, though I could be mistaken.  I can't compare
optical quality, since I haven't used the Contax zoom. But I can say that
the Leica lens is as good as my 90/2 Summicron-R. Granted, the zoom is two
stops slower and therefore the viewfinder isn't as bright. But it's
excellent wide-open, which is more than I can say for nearly every zoom I've
used in the past.

Focusing the 80-200/4 R is unbelievably smooth. It has a focusing ring,
whereas the Contax, I believe, is push-pull. Another fact I like about the
Leica R lens is the front element doesn't turn when focusing. That's
important to me, since I often use an R for when I need to use a polorizing
filter.

All of this tells me that a manufacturing giant -- like Kyocera -- is
probably capable of making something beyond our wildest dreams. Whether or
not we can afford it is another matter :-).

Interestingly, I went in to Glaziers in Seattle to buy a 180/2.8, but walked
out with the 80-200/4. I'm very glad that I did. I often travel with the
80-200/4 and 35/2 and an R7. It's a very versatile outfit.

Dave