Subject: Re: [Leica] M5 ?
From: "M.E.Berube" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 16:31:12 -0500

At 09:13 PM 11/9/00 +0100, you wrote:
>I'm looking for a second M-body (I have a M6) and was looking at a M5. What
>is the general opinion about the M5?

Love mine. Great Camera. It is bigger and heavier than your other M a plus
or minus depending on your particular hand. Strap lugs are wide slots that
don't like split rings. Some people find them ugly others charming. They
don't like collapsible or deep recessed lenses (if you want to use the
semiphore style 8* spot meter.) They have the best informed VF of any other
M in my opinion. They can't be fitted with the famed grip (Mr. A's or
Leica's) or motors as they rewind from the bottom. More expensive than many
other used Ms at the moment.

>Reliable?

Over #271XXX  or so they get more reliable. The earlier than 271XXX bodies
reportedly had problems with some roller that could be costly to fix.
(According to Sherry K Leica M5 goddess extraordinaire.)

>What about the batteries?

buy the mercury buttons out of the US, or get the Wien Air Cells. The Meter
is great and the batteries last a LOOOOONG time.

>Anything I should consider before buying one? Or should I just forget the M5
>and go for another M6 or M4P?

As an only body, I don't think you can go wrong with an M5 if it has what
you want in a camera. As a second body, an M5 can give you a lot that the
M6 or M4P doesn't that can compliment your shooting options.
Welcome to the LUG.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube

Replies: Reply from "M.E.Berube" <MEB@goodphotos.com> (Re: [Leica] M5 ?)