Subject: Re: [Leica] Kid candids
From: Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 08:00:31 -0500

There is a big difference between photographing children as a
professional and as a parent. the professional needs to come up with
good (at least) pictures in a relatively short time period. Time is the
most expensive thing. A parent, on the other hand, can always have the
camera with him/her and make use of the opportune moments, an infinite
advantage. The more the camera (and parent) is around the more it is
accepted. One of my best pictures was of my wife and holding my son
while they watched the bears at the zoo. He was not running then! My
other son was mesmerized by elephants (the younger son once said
knowingly "'Etins' is the way David used to say 'elphertants'."

The point is patience, having your camera available, thinking about the
lighting and using 400 speed film. And, personally, I found that the
50mm and 90mm allowed me the best pictures.

Jesse

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Kid candids)