Subject: Re: [Leica] mechanical shutters
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:57:21 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 18:17:52 -0500 Emanuel Lowi <mano@proxyma.net>
wrote:
> In 25 years, Sherry and DAG and Reinhold will, I hope, be enjoying their
> much-deserved retirements on the Riviera or some South Seas island.
>
> I have yet to meet a younger person keen on mastering the internal intricacies of the
> Leica M or screwmount cameras, nor, for that matter, any other precision mechanical
> device. As someone who is still on the south side of 40, I despair about the
> interests and aptitudes of my own and the following generations, especially when I
> imagine that I may want to continue using my Leicas in my old age.
>
> Given Leica Inc.'s own increasingly spotty performance on the quality control and
> service score, perhaps moving soon to electronics and their concomitant
> "broken-replace it"  philosophy  will be the best way to insure survival for the
> marque. People like Sherry and DAG and Reinhold are bound to become as scarce as the
> rarest Leica one day.
>
> Emanuel Lowi
> Montreal

Show me $35-50K a year, retirement plan, health insurance, and LIFETIME
benefits for my family if I should die/be shot/etc....and I'm yours.
That's what most college graduates can get, if they pursue the same
path I did....(although I make less, cuz I'm a lazy shit).

The life of a camera repairman is one of working for shop after shop, mostly
on shit cameras, for $10 hr/billed, with no commitment of any kind from the
owner, he himself who is unsure of tomorrow...then dealing with anal retentives
who blame everything on the gear (pros being some of the worst-the "wedding" crowd).
No benefits, handle your own IRS problems, cuz you're a "sub-contractor" so the
owner has no liability, etc. etc. etc.....

Maybe DAG and Sherry have enough Leica-only work, or maybe they have other
business interests, but it's not for me......I'll take the state teat anytime....
been there, done that, seen two companies go out of business while turning
a significant gross profit....it weren't us that were stealing the money...

Judging from Leica's financial position, I'm just glad I don't work for them....
I hate looking for new jobs....

Walt

Replies: Reply from Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com> (Re: [Leica] mechanical shutters)