Subject: Re: [Leica] mechanical shutters
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:02:30 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 22:48:28 +0100 Robert Appleby
<robert.appleby@tin.it> wrote:

> > Axel
> > Twenty years is a hell of a long time. Will I be using the same camera in
> > twenty years as I am now? I don't think so.
>
> Well, you ain't the typical Leica photographer, then....My M4 is 31, my M4P
> is 18 or so, and I'm 43....when I sold my M2s after 18 years in my hands,
> one of them was nearly 40....and they're still (hopefully) in daily use.
>
> Walt
> <<<<<<
>
> Walt, I'm probably not the typical Leica photographer, whatever that may
> be! I do take pictures, not as many I'd like or should. And for me, the
> important thing is that the camera perform on the day or during the period
> I need it for, not in some distant future. I had the R6's break down on me
> when electronic cameras managed OK.

I don't know about Leica's mechanical R cameras....I use Nikon F/F2...but
I'd like to try an R6.2. So far the M6's are working fine. But
> they haven't had such hard use yet. It just makes sense to me that
> electronics are more reliable.

Things aren't as they seem.  Talk to repairmen.
 Of course, everything has a limited lifespan.
Mechanical Leicas probably have an unlimited lifespan if key parts
were to be available....I can't see a lifespan of less than 100 years,
provided basic repair parts were available.  It's easier to gear up
to make curtains than I.C., so there even could be small runs of
independent parts. (look at the "new" M-rings....3 for $100...they
look/work FABULOUS--and you know they're more complicated than
most parts in an M.....
> As for 20 years in the future, I don't think anyone can say now what's
> going to be around then. Things are changing pretty fast. It would be nice
> to think that there'll be something like an M6 then, but I wouldn't put my
> money on it.
> Rob.

I wouldn't think there'd be an M-anything in 20 years...but I thought that in
1975, too....hehehe....

Thanks for the post, I just meant to state that MOST Luggers have at least SOME
gear WAY more than 20 years old....

Walt