Subject: Re: Caveat Konica Hexar RF (or Re: [Leica] Focusing Hexar RF with Leica lenses) LONG
From: Paul Chefurka <chefurka@home.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:57:17 -0500

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:06:06 -0800, "Phil Eskildsen" <philesk@attglobal.net>
wrote:
[snip]

>I don't want to start a flame, but I cannot understand why a Konica product
>planner would specify a product that used the Leica-M mount but had a
>viewfinder that was close, but did not accurately focus Leica-M lenses. It
>seems like such a waste of effort.  Konica could have just invented a new
>lens mount for all the good their M-mount effort has done them.
>
>So, I hereby nominate the Konica Hexar RF for the "Try Harder Next Time"
>award.

I feel luckier every day.  My Hexar, straight out of the box, shows no focussing
irregularities at all.  I have a decent set of current Leica lenses, from 24 to
135, and every single one of them appears to focus properly with my camera.  My
test films have been indistinguishable from those taken with an M6.  So whatever
is going on here, it doesn't seem to be intrinsic to the camera.

I've heard that Konica Canada was very accommodating in adjusting someone else's
Hexar that showed this problem. No bitching about Leica lenses - no attitude at
all.  Just service that got the new user up and happy in a very short time.

This is a very strange set of affairs indeed.  It sure smacks of poor quality
control.  And I can't imagine why Konica USA would be copping a 'tude over Leica
lenses - what did they expect, after all?

All I can say is that a functioning Hexar RF is a very slick beast.  It's too
bad they're leaving such a trail of disappointment in their wake.

Paul