Subject: [Leica] gigabit continued
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:24:10 +0100

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 07:35:47 -0500
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Subject: RE: [Leica] Gigabit continued
I wouldn't argue that "what was good enough for Cartier-Bresson should be
good enough for us (technically speaking)."  I _would_ say that I would be
extremely happy (ecstatic) if I could get my prints to look (again,
technically) as good as HCB's!  To go beyond that would be incredible.

But is that possible once we introduce the artistic/creative side of the
equation?  In other words, can one achieve the resolution--even with Leica
lenses and gigabit film--you speak of here while shooting handheld candids
on the street?

Perhaps if the film can be pushed enough to allow for 1/1000 sec shutter
speeds @f5.6, it may be.

In any event, the film sounds exciting.

Thanks,
Dan
<<<<

I remember looking at some HCB prints in the print room at the V&A in
London many years ago. Incredible place, you just go upstairs and order up
from the stacks anything you'd care to see - Siskind, HCB, Harry Callahan,
whatever.
I was amazed at the time how very _bad_ the print quality was. Muddy greys,
poor focus on the baseboard. Now they may well have been workprints that H
threw out, or his printer, rather. But nonetheless, I was very
disappointed. And his printing as such has never got me going very much.
But I don't think that part of the chain was very important to him. He
seems to have been more interested in the snap than the print.
At that time I was a complete admirer of the Big H. And still am, to a
lesser degree.
Rob.
Among the V&A's collection were several pictures of trees in a wood - not
at all what I would have expected from HCB.