Subject: [Leica] 35-70/3.5 vs 35-70/3.5
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:47:48 EST

<<

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:10:18 -0000

From: "SML" <inyoung@jps.net>

Hello,

  If the German version of the subject lens is the same in optical design as

the Japanese version, it simply was designed by a Japanese company but

manufactured in Solm, Germany.  Then how come some people kept insisting

that the German version designed in Japan but manufactured in Germany is

better in performance than the Japanese version which was designed and

manufactured in Japan?

The German version should be the same in performance as the Japanese version

if they are identical in optical design.  But one question comes up.  How

did Leica make the front element bigger (E67 instead of E60) without

changing the optical design?  I am just curious.

Thanks,

David

The current 35-70 is also an F4! The German one is a f3.5. There was a
Japanese f3.5 inbetween as well, but not any more!

Something is off in this report. I missed the beginning of it, but almost
everyone I know seems to prefer the German version to the Japanese
version...and I'm not only talking collectors...

It is Leica's stand, however, that all the later lenses are better than
earlier ones with the same designation. Photographer's don't always agree
with this...but I do know Leica sticks steadfastly to this claim.

cheers,
Rich