Subject: [Leica] Historical Cavil
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:48:24 -0500

At 09:36 AM 11/15/2000 -0500, Dave Jenkins wrote:

>History-wise: The ruling houses of Germany and England were very closely
>entwined. George III spoke German in preference to English and clung to
>German ideas and customs. His Prussians fought with the English in the
>Revolutionary war. Even Kaiser Wilhelm, of World War One infamy, was the
>nephew of Queen Victoria of England.

Wow!  To set the record straight:

King George III was the first of the House of Hanover to speak English more
fluently than German -- his great-grandfather, George I, spoke virtually no
English, and his grandfather, George II, preferred German to English.

George III was also King of Hannover.  He had no connection with Prussia
save that both he and the King of Prussia were electors in the Holy Roman
Empire.

The German troops employed by the British in the American Revolutionary War
were Hessians.  George III had no connection with Hesse, either:  these
guys were hired by the British government.

Wilhelm II was the grandson, not the nephew, of Queen Victoria.  His mother
was Victoria's oldest child.  Wilhelm was the nephew of King Edward VII,
who had a habit of treating Wilhelm as a petulant child.  (Victoria had
been much more successful in keeping Wilhelm's self-destructive tendencies
at bay.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!