Subject: [Leica] goths and cathedrals and leica's...
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:55:44 -0500 (EST)

bill posted:

>Today I was teaching about Gothic Cathedrals in my History class when a
>kid asked what these churches have to do with "Goths".  From the spiked
>blond hair and extensive amount of  hardware penetrating his body I
>immediately sense that he  may have been more at home lurking on the LUG
>reading Kyle's very educational mail about the current "Gothic Culture"
>than perusing Adams' classic works on Mont Saint Michel and Chartres.

actually, the real answer is "these are the cathedrals who's front steps
are crowded with goths smoking clove cigarettes and snapping photos of one
another looking tragic." a lot of them are wrongly obsessed with a lot of
archetecture and mood and make overzealous attempts to always look like a
half-drowned percy shelly spawled on the steps of st. pauls. the task
becomes to photograph them in an enviornment which remains dramatic but
escapes being cliched (hence my insistance on not photographing in
graveyards).....

though i abhore the 50mm lens, i'm looking more to it for my next series
of goth portraits. i wish i hadn't busted my serenar 1.8 ... does anybody
fix those? i slammed it into a wall i was jumping over and jammed the
f-stop ring. it still turns but you have to use a lot of force. i'm sure
its just something minor i bent....

kc