Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 system to enhance an M system
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:42:52 +1100

Steve Beyer wrote:

about getting an R8 system, and I'm jumping in late, as usual.

Hi Steve,

Onya!  You're gonna love it.

The prime lenses that get the most positive press are the 100/2.8 APO Macro,
the 60/2.8 Macro, the 19/2.8, and then perhaps the 50/2.  The newish 50/1.4
seems to be a good one too.  The new 180/2.8 APO is considered to be the
sharpest lens in the R line up, and hence on the planet.  ;)

The 80/1.4 and 35/1.4 are reported to be soft but nice when wide open, and
good when stopped down.  Of course the viewfinder will be bright with lenses
this fast.  The 24/2.8 is OK (I use one1) but probably attracts the least
favourable press of the Leica primes.  In my view it has pronounced field
curvature that one needs to be mindful of.

The most congratulated zoom seems to be the 70/180 APO, with the new (and
unobtainable) 35-70/2.8 also right up there.  Many also like the 35-70/4,
but to be honest I get confused about which one of these 35-70s people like
the most, as there's a few versions around of different speeds (???).

The APO Telyt telephoto lenses are quite nice, and so they should be for the
buck-a-roos they cost.

My dream set up would be

19/2.8
35/1.4
50/1.4
60/2.8 Macro
80/1.4
100/2.8 APO Macro
180/2.8 APO Macro
(ooh, and that 180/2 APO just to impress the models!)
1.4 and 2X adapters, and
the Modular telephoto lens system, from 280 to 800.

with a couple of R8 bodies, electronic releases, winders, motors, screens,
etc, etc, etc

Gotta go now, the guys with the white coats will surely arrive soon.

Have fun choosing Steve.  Once you've narrowed down on some lenses, ask the
group for specific opinions, and you will surely receive very useful
feedback.

Regards

Rick Dykstra