Subject: Re: [Leica] Ball- or 3 way-head
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:01:30 +1100

Bernard Degaute wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm using standard Studex Gitzo tripod + a ratio 3 way head with my (Leica
> and other) gear up to 600mm. I would like to improve with a carbon fiber
> tripod. What kind of head do you suggest : a 3 way or a ball head? I also
> intend to use it with my 4x5 field camera.
> Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi Bernard,

I've been chewing up ISP hours lately, researching ball heads and other
kinds of contraptions.

Here is some good oil, such that I've found it.

For general photography, the Arca Swiss B1 seems most favoured.  It is
reputed to be very smooth and if the tension is set up properly, won't go
suddenly loose and flop over with a bang.  It's rated to 90 lb and costs
around $400 US.

The Arca Swiss B1 G (for Gross!) is a x2 the B1 scaled up ball head that
will hold 200 lb!  Costs around $500 US

But for big lenses like 600/4's, then a head that won't allow the hole lot
to flop over at all (given the weight of such rigs) seems favoured.  Arca
Swiss make the B2 head, with which the left to right tilt adjustment can be
locked off, leaving only the front to back tilt and pan still operable, both
of which can then be locked off individually.  This means that it works just
like a 3 way pan tilt head, just much smoother.  It's rated to 150lb and
costs around $700 US.  Arca don't have a website, but useful images of these
heads are at www.leppphoto.com/TheNaturalImage/NI14-3Color/NI14-3.html

Then there's the gimbal heads for long lenses.  Once set up right, these
will support your long lenses as if they were weightless.  Wimberley make a
couple of versions which are well regarded, and Kirk now have a model called
the King Cobra.  Wimberley are at www.tripodhead.com and Kirk are at
www.kirkphoto.com

Then there's video type fluid heads and the Manfrotto geared head, but I've
not looked into those as yet.

I'm currently choosing between an Arca Swiss B1-G, or a B2, or a Wimberley
gimbal head or a Kirk King Cobra gimbal head.  To help with this I'll read
through the catalogue I've requested from Really Right Stuff, who make the
most favoured Arca Swiss style tripod mounting plates. Apparently, the
catalogue contains views and recommendations on the tripod heads I've
mentioned.

Other useful info is at:

www.moose395.net/b2.html   a review of the B2 head

www.grizzlyjhphoto.com/oldequipment.html     another of the B2

and at many archived discussions on www.photo.net

Hope this helps.  Please fill in the gaps folks.

Regards

Rick Dykstra