Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filter for Noctilux
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 07:12:15 -0700

I think that I would rather ask a grumpy Hell's Angel enthusiast:

"Is it that time of the month girl?"

than ask some of our more "temper like a geyser" leica-users about UV
filters. Some use them and some do not. Basically they hate each other! :-)

There are some legitimate concerns about the use of UV filters on the
Noctilux. The designers actually added some vignetting to help control
aberrations when the lens is wide open. So if you add a UV filter it will
increase this normal vignetting. Do some tests and see for yourself. It will
come down to your comfort level. I recently removed all my UV filters
(except when photographing in salt spray and blowing sand!) and have been
very comfortable with the decision. However, when I went to lend my camera
to my darling daughter (my old M2 with a 50/2), I found myself putting the
UV filter back on! :-)

If not having a UV filter is going to prevent you from taking photographs;
then put one on! IT IS ALL ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHS! Do what you need to photograph
comfortably.

Cheers

John Collier

Replies: Reply from Nicholas Poole <nick.botton@camphill.org.uk> (Re: [Leica] UV filter for Noctilux)