Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filter for Noctilux
From: Nicholas Poole <nick.botton@camphill.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:14:45 +0000

John Collier commented:

>If not having a UV filter is going to prevent you from taking photographs;
>then put one on! IT IS ALL ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHS! Do what you need to photograph
>comfortably.

Fear of flaming notwithstanding, I agree!
Having learned the hard way (unhappy clients, frustrated
photographer!) that there is no way of telling what degree of
filter-induced flare I would get when using an M lens (as opposed to
seeing it in the viewfinder of the Leicaflex), I took 'em all off.
Then the obvious hit me - 90% of my pictures were not shot against
the light, so an insurance against dust and scratches seemed a GOOD
THING. Now they're off just 10% of the time. Seems a reasonable
compromise to me.
Nick.