Subject: Re: [Leica] Still confused about which 90 to get
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:31:16 -03-30

At 15:34 16-11-00 -0500, you wrote:
>Tristan,
>Go for the big gun, the Summicron. Go first class.
>Kurt
>German Business Translations
>Ann Arbor, MI

YES,YES,YES!!!  SUMMICRON... BIG, BOLD, HEAVY and VERY sharp, great for
available light.

...and contrary to Mr. Puts suggestion that "portrait lens should be
stopped done, most professional photographers prefer very shallow depths of
field when photographing the human face.  Often to the point where the eyes
and mouth would be in focus but the ears and shoulders softly out.

It really does make the subject "jump" from the background and pack a punch.
I once considered asking Leica for a refund on the f stops above 2.8 I've
never used :^)

My summicron is an older MADE IN CANADA version but it rocks wide open.
If you don't mind the weight or size.... GO FOR IT!

Greg Locke                         St. John's, Newfoundland
locke@straylight.ca              http://www.straylight.ca/locke
Touched By Fire: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm
ISBN#0-7710-5305-3 McClelland & Stewart

Replies: Reply from khmiska <khmiska@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] Still confused about which 90 to get)