Subject: Re: [Leica] How to get comfortable with my Leica?
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:51:52 -0800

Hi Rob,

The theme is the magic! To just wander around aimlessly will take years of
wandering before one starts to find images the likes of HCB and other "street
photographers of the past."  A nd quite frankly unless the wandering
photographer has an "eye for the moment" he or she may never find anything
exciting and yet have walked by a several wonderful photographic moments.

The theme makes you look for one thing and to concentrate on a fixed subject. I
still do this after all my years of plinking away and if I just go out to roam
looking for "images on the street" I end up completely peed off because there
wasn't anything around.

The truth is, if you don't have a theme you don't concentrate, nor do you find
anything, well OK rarely something that is truly magical. By the way, this
rarely happens in your home town, no matter where that is in the world do you
find something right away . A home town is the worst place to have to shoot,
you've seen it, been there a dozen times, everything looks the same and it all
becomes      bbbbbbbboooooorrrrrrriiiiiingggg!

You pack up and go home with either junk on film or pissed off!  Or worse,
usually both! :-(

A theme or a "self project" should be a part of every photographer's life, pro
or amateur, as this creates a personal challenge to do something for yourself
and not because some editor hired you to shoot some dumb ass thing.

ted

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] How to get comfortable with my Leica?)