Subject: Re: [Leica] How to get comfortable with my Leica?
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:55:54 +0100

Ted,

For once I have to take issue with something you have written, to wit:

> The truth is, if you don't have a theme you don't concentrate, nor do you find
> anything, well OK rarely something that is truly magical. By the way, this
> rarely happens in your home town, no matter where that is in the world do you
> find something right away . A home town is the worst place to have to shoot,
> you've seen it, been there a dozen times, everything looks the same and it all
> becomes      bbbbbbbboooooorrrrrrriiiiiingggg!

My own experience is exactly the opposite. When I look at the photos I have taken
in the past 15 years, I almost invariably find that the best ones all are from the
place I lived at the time, or at least a place close enough that I was able to
return to it again and again. My travel pictures, on the other hand, are ho-hum:
nice record shots, well exposed and all that, but really nothing special. I really
believe that in order to take good pictures of a place, you have to be intimate
with the environment.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman