Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filter for Noctilux-measurable light loss??
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 07:27:12 -0700

Rob,

I do not agree or disagree, I merely speculated.. Someone asked if anyone
might know a reason why a Noctilux's light transmission might be effected by
using a filter. The Noctilux is a special case as the designers used
vignetting to control some aberrations when the lens is wide open (source:
Erwin). I proposed that the addition of a normal thickness of a filter ring
might increase this designed in vignetting to the point where it would show
on the light meter. As you can see by my previous post, the glass of a
single filter has no measurable effect on the amount reaching the film plane
(discounting flare, we are talking about transmission). I do not have a
Noctilux to test (donations for the furtherance of Science will be
cheerfully accepted) but our learned friend Byron Rakitzis does. As you will
have read in his post, one can see the filter when looking through the film
gate. At no time did I mean that a filter will affect a regular lens, I was
just referring to the Noctilux.

John Collier